Friday, September 11, 2009
The Jewels of New York Make Breakfast For Your Mom
Baked to a sugary crisp on one side and custard-soaked on the other, crème brulee French toast needs only a little prep work the night before and a few locally procured ingredients. dailycandy
Crème Brulee French Toast
1 c. dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. corn syrup
1stick unsalted butter
1 loaf brioche bread (from Balthazar Bakery, if possible), cut into 1½-inch slices
5 large organic eggs
1 c. whole milk
½ c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp. Grand Marnier
Powdered sugar and sliced strawberries for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, stir together the brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter until melted and smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into a lightly buttered 13-by-9-inch baking pan; top with bread in a single layer and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, salt, and Grand Marnier.
4. Pour mixture over bread and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Let chill in the fridge for eight hours or overnight. When ready to serve, let sit at room temperature for half an hour before baking.
5. Preheat oven to 350º. Bake for 35 minutes, until bread is golden and puffed. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate with sliced strawberries.