The weekend is almost here and what a better way to start it off than baking a classic french cuisine. Take a break from your Saturday morning routine and try this recipe. I swear, it's to die for.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 sheets ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 rashers bacon, rind removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 300ml cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a fluted 3cm deep, 23cm (base), loose-base flan pan.
- Line base and sides of flan with pastry. Trim excess. Line pastry with baking paper. Half-fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Bake a further 10 minutes or until golden.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook for 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Cool. Sprinkle over pastry. Top with cheese.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C. Whisk remaining ingredients and salt and pepper in a jug. Pour over bacon. Place onto tray. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.